I have added a new tutorial called Split grade printing printing the Ilford way with Ilford Multigrade under the lens filters. It includes a video that lasts just over 14 minutes and shows how to use the Ilford under lens filter kit with Ilford Multigrade RC paper and a Durst M670 Color enlarger.
Monthly Archives: August 2016
Latest Darkroom Arrangement With 6 Working Enlargers
I have rearranged my darkroom so that I now have 6 working enlargers. That means that clients can have a greater choice of the enlargers they would like to use for their darkroom printing course, or can try as many as they like on their 1 or 2 day course. Maybe to try before you buy an enlarger elsewhere? I take 1 or 2 clients at a time on printing courses to make sure that everyone has a lot of attention from me.
From the left the enlargers are:
- Durst M670 BW for negatives up to 7 x 6cm. Uses Ilford Multigrade above lens filters for split grade printing
- DeVere 504 with Ilford MG500H Multigrade Head for negatives up to 5 x 4 inch
- Durst M670 Color for negatives up to 7 x 6cm. Uses Ilford Multigrade below lens filters for split grade printing
- DeVere 203 Varicon with condenser head for negatives up to 7 x 6cm. Uses Ilford Multigrade above lens filters for split grade printing
- DeVere 203 with DeVere Multigrade Head for negatives up to 7 x 6cm. Very easy to use for split grade printing
- Durst 138S with Ilford MG500H Multigrade Head for negatives up to 5 x 4 inch
In addition to these the rest of the darkroom is well equipped for both RC and FB paper processing using dishes in a 6 foot x 3 foot darkroom sink, archival print washers, Ilford 1250 RC dryer, Maco Ecomat FB dryers. For film processing there are lots of Paterson System 4 processing tanks in various sizes as well as a ProCo film drying cabinet.
Ilford Multigrade papers and chemicals are used throughout.
If you want to learn the easy way to make black and white prints using split grade printing, using the way I was taught during the 21 years that I worked for Ilford, come on a 1 or 2 day course with me!